Fake Doors

Polyvore is a very product/eng-centric company. We pride ourselves on iterating quickly.

A long time ago, I did a Lean Startup talk on “fake door testing”, which is a technique we use to figure out if our product ideas are good.

The talk is in the Ignite format, which means there are 20 slides that auto-advance every 15 seconds. Great for audience members who want concise, information-dense, 5-minute-long talks, but it’s super stressful for speakers! I hate public speaking.

7 comments ↓

#1 When you should break your product – VentureBeat » Marketing News on 07.18.13 at 12:39 am

[…] Lee, CEO of social commerce company Polyvore, takes this a step further with a technique called “fake doors.” These are hooks for features that aren’t built. It’s just a test to see how many people would […]

#2 Uzo on 09.03.13 at 7:46 am

I think you did great!

Although you were ahead of the slides sometimes (like 2 or 3 times) you were 100% focused on your audience and that is what presentations are all about. Engaging and talking with the audience.

Great job Jess!

#3 When you should break your product | BaciNews on 12.26.13 at 9:08 pm

[…] Lee, CEO of social commerce company Polyvore, takes this a step further with a technique called “fake doors.” These are hooks for features that aren’t built. It’s just a test to see how many […]

#4 Tiffany on 02.17.14 at 8:52 pm

I watched your presentation and I learned something new about the site and this “fake door” idea. It was quite fast pace but I think that you described everything thoroughly and concise that even someone who isn’t in website creating could understand. I wish I lived closer to take you up on that offer of a job.

#5 louis vuitton large handbags on 06.15.14 at 12:00 am

Thank you! Full compliance with all the photo. I’m happy. Not leather, however quality is a useful one. Neat seams. Color is a useful one. Fast shipping.

#6 Alex Deschamps on 03.16.15 at 9:39 am

hey Jess im a 16 year old kid i love your idea for polyvore i had i similar idea recently and have found you to be the closest thing to it i was wondering if we could talk about it. sorry i went to your personal blog but i really want to share my thoughts with you.

#7 Kiralk Forklift on 04.29.15 at 4:29 am

I wish you continued success and good work are endless thanks for the information you share your blog I follow with pleasure.